Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Starting to settle in now."


Well another week of getting ready for the marathon has come and gone!
Although I had a very solid week of training, I had another slow week on the fundraising side of things. So I thought I'd take a slightly different direction to start this weeks post and thank someone who has been quietly helping me just about every weekend this winter so that I don't miss my workouts.

A very special "Thank You" goes out to my mom who has been spending Sunday mornings with my son Max so that I can participate in the Soup Group. I wouldn't be where I am in my training without her!


My son Max and his  "Grandma Pearl", an unsung hero of the Sunday Soup Group!

Training
46 miles

Another week is in the books, and this one finally went smooth and according to plan. There aren't too many weeks I can say that!

Lately I've been trying to stick to a plan of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday on the treadmill with the Thursday run being a tempo run. I chugged right through the treadmill portion of the week without any major grumbling or pain issues. On Thursday I had my best tempo run yet doing a 10k (6.2 miles) in 48:20 which works out to a 7:52/mile average pace.

Truth be told, I'm not very good at sticking to prescribed training schedules. I've sort of bucked and kicked against all of the "plans" that have been suggested to me, preferring instead to just run as much as possible while still listening to my body and giving it the rest it needs when it needs it.
These tempo runs, however, have definitely been paying off. Over the last couple of weeks I've definitely started to feel like I have a little more speed at my disposal when I need it. 


Saturday Long Run
17.2 Miles

This week the Run for the Memory crew headed back one last time to the top of Heartbreak Hill for our weekly long run. At first I was a bit bummed to go back to the same spot, but it ended up being quite a fantastic run! Not only did I do my longest run ever (17.2 miles) but I was also able to see and run on some new parts of the course. We ended up going all the way into Boston, turning around to head back at the top of Hereford St (just a couple of blocks from the finish line!)

Even though I did my PR for distance, I think I was struck more by something I said to one of my fellow runners about 7 or 8 miles into the run. I said "ok, i think I'm starting to settle in now."
I just can't believe I've reached a point where I'm starting to feel good 8 miles into a run! What a difference a year makes.

Coach Rich giving the Run for the Memory Crew a pep talk before we head out on one of our recent long runs.

Sunday Soup Group
4 miles

This week, after running my long run on Saturday, I definitely knew I needed an easy one on Sunday. In fact, if it wasn't for what I now feel is my responsibility to photograph the soup, I probably would have taken this one off. But there I was at 9:45 lacing up my shoes and waiting for the early group to come back by the cars to pick up the rest of us. 

As it happened, fate helped me out again this week because it turned out that I was the only one who wanted to run 6 miles or less. So when the early guys came in, we basically said hello and then went our separate ways.  I ended up running by myself and did a relatively easy and flat 4 miles.


 The Soup Group was joined this week by Rich Allen. For those who don't know him, he's the owner
of PR Running in Westborough. See his website here or stop in and say hi!


The Payoff!

 This weeks soup was a wonderful Split Pea with Homemade Pumpernickel Croutons.
Thanks Don Basso!


Split Pea Soup with Pumpernickel Croutons

Ingredients
   • 2 meaty ham hocks (1 3/4 lb total)
16 cups water
4 large carrots
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb dried split peas (2 1/4 cups), picked over and rinsed
1 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 cups 1/2-inch cubes pumpernickel bread (from a 1 1/4-lb loaf)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup frozen peas (not thawed)
Preparation
Simmer ham hocks in 16 cups water in a deep 6-quart pot, uncovered, until meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Transfer ham hocks to a cutting board and measure broth: If it measures more than 12 cups, continue boiling until reduced; if less, add enough water to total 12 cups. When hocks are cool enough to handle, discard skin and cut meat into 1/4-inch pieces (reserve bones).
Chop 2 carrots and cook along with onion and celery in 2 tablespoons oil in a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add split peas, table salt, pepper, ham hock broth, and reserved bones and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until peas are falling apart and soup is slightly thickened, about 1 1/2 hours.
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
While soup simmers, toss bread with remaining 3 tablespoons oil and kosher salt in a large bowl, then spread in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool croutons in pan on a rack.
Halve remaining 2 carrots lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Remove bones from soup with a slotted spoon and discard. Add carrots and ham pieces to soup and simmer, uncovered, until carrots are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add frozen peas and simmer, uncovered, stirring, until just heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt.
Serve soup with croutons.
Cooks' notes:
· Croutons can be made 3 days ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
· Soup is best when made, without frozen peas, 1 day ahead (to give flavors time to develop). Cool completely, uncovered, then chill, covered. Reheat and, if necessary, thin with water. Stir in frozen peas while reheating.




Soup Group Face of the Week
Don Basso

Don Basso is a new addition to the Soup Group, but immediately became the groups resident seasoned veteran. This years Boston Marathon will be his 5th. Over his running career he has finished 16 marathons including New York City, Philadelphia, and Lake Placid.


"Running marathons (and the longer Tri's) places me in a club or "brotherhood" that I really enjoy - the time qualified Boston Marathoner."



that's it for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment